Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Dyshidrosis Vitamin D Cure, Take 3

I do not understand why the universe is DETERMINED to make a liar out of me. Never fails. I can keep my mouth shut about something and it will never change. Life will continue with no issues and everybody’s happy. But the MOMENT I tell someone else about it, it’s all over.

That would seem to be the case with my vitamin D dyshidrotic eczema cure. Remember me telling you last time about only having a small patch on one foot, and that not bothering me very much? Yeah, well….it decided to become a full blown breakout which resulted in several days of itchy misery for me.

Still, it was just one patch on my foot, about the diameter of a kiwi, I guess. I can handle that. What I cannot handle is a repeat of what I went through last winter with my hands. I can’t even handle the thought of it. So you can imagine why I am just about flipping out after noticing several small, almost invisible patches of tiny, seemingly harmless bumps on my fingers.

What Am I Going to Do?

I honestly don’t have any good ideas at this point. I’m going to get on Amazon straight away and order a good magnesium supplement to see if that helps. I’ve been meaning to for a while now anyway and just haven’t. I’ve also started moisturizing the tar out of my hands since they’ve gotten really dried out after the onset of cold weather.

Beyond that, all I can do is pray. Pray that it doesn’t flare up as bad as it did last year. Pray that I can arrest it before it gets too bad. Pray that, if this is something I’m going to have to live with every winter, that the Lord will send me the knowledge I need to keep it under control. Pray for mercy. Pray for healing. Pray that, if I do have to suffer, my story will serve some greater purpose to help or inspire others.

I’m going to redouble my efforts to drink more water and reduce the amount of caffeine I take in. I know now that reasonable amounts of caffeine are not what trigger the flares, but it is possible that the overload that I’m back up to might.

What is Causing It?

I’m also brainstorming other possible triggers, but it’s hard to form a solid theory when literally anything could be the cause. Some ideas I have include:

  • Sleep deprivation
  • Stress
  • Allergic reaction to the dog
Money seems to be tightest around this time of year, so I spend far more time working than is probably healthy. This leads to not sleeping as much as I should, compounding my delayed sleep phase issue. Then there’s the stress itself from trying to make ends meet and not having the time or ability to accomplish everything I need and want to.

Finally, the dog stays outside most of the time, but during the winter she comes in. That means a lot more of me petting her. I have a known allergy to pet dander anyway, but it’s usually a histamine reaction. She gets regular baths when she stays inside, so I haven’t had many allergic reactions in the traditional sense, but I just wonder if the contact is an issue.

Of course there’s the obvious dry air that comes from heating the house, and I have considered that possibility. Perhaps a good humidifier for the house is something worth looking into. I don’t know. I don’t even want to think about it, but I don’t want to bury my head in the sand and just let it happen without trying to stop it if stopping it is possible.

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens. For all of you fellow dyshidrosis sufferers, I’ll be sure to update you on how this all pans out. Does anyone else have any experience with seasonal flares?


For More Reading about Vitamin D and Dyshidrotic Eczema, Try These Posts:




1 comment:

  1. I've been dealing with dyshidrosis for over 3 years now and only recently have been diagnosed. Mine tends to flare up pretty bad in the winter months and especially when I'm stressed. I'm in my final year of school at the moment and with all the stress and 3-5 hours of sleep I get at night, it's nearly unbearable! R&R tends to make it go away but definitely go to your doctor to get it checked out.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and enjoy a diverse range of comments and opinions. However, I won't allow other readers to be bullied or intimidated. Please keep your comments polite, respectful, and relevant to the discussion. All comments that are obviously spam or that contain offensive, inappropriate, or belligerent language will be deleted. Thank you!