Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Defining Addiction


I’d like to be clear about something before I get too far into this journey. I am not, in any way, trying to minimize serious addictions, make myself a victim, or intentionally publish false or inaccurate information. I do feel that “addicted” best describes my relationship with soft drinks because I feel like I have to have them. And, since Coke is my soft drink of choice, the play on words was too much to resist. But to say that cola addiction is a medically recognized disorder—no, that’s not what I’m doing. So please don’t misunderstand me.

Now that we have that cleared up, I thought it might be appropriate to discuss what addiction really is.
An addiction is a psychological condition in which a person has lost the ability to control their actions with regard to the object of their addiction. You can be addicted to virtually anything, as I discussed briefly before. It doesn’t have to be a physical substance, either; it can be a type of behavior or even a fantasy.

Recognizing Addiction

It’s important to understand that there’s a difference between a true addiction and a habit. A habit is something that you make a choice to do. It can be good or bad. Habits can be hard to break or change, but they don’t hold the psychological aspect of a true addiction. Real addictions:
·       
  • Are extremely difficult to give up without help.
  • Often cause physical withdrawal symptoms.
  • May be accompanied by a tendency toward risk taking.
  • Continue despite the person being aware of the dangers.
  • May interfere with daily life, hobbies, and relationships.  

People who struggle with addiction tend to maintain a good supply of whatever they are addicted to if it’s a physical dependency. They often keep stashes of the item in various locations to ensure they don’t run out. They may even become obsessed with every aspect of their addiction.

Where I Stand

Honestly, I think I fall somewhere between habit and addiction. I maintain a rather large supply of Coke and I don’t go anywhere without it. I get headaches when I don’t have my caffeine and I get rather unsettled if I discover myself running low. I actually get irritated with my husband if he drinks one of my cokes, which is just ridiculous in and of itself. I know they’re bad for me but I drink excessive amounts anyway.

But am I truly addicted? I don’t know. I’d say if anything, I’m probably addicted to the caffeine that’s in them. I would probably be just fine without Coke as long as I had coffee and tea—I just prefer the Coke. But then, that’s why I’m embarking on this journey—to detox and reset. So whether my blog title is totally accurate or not, it’s what I’m sticking with…because that’s how I feel. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and enjoy a diverse range of comments and opinions. However, I won't allow other readers to be bullied or intimidated. Please keep your comments polite, respectful, and relevant to the discussion. All comments that are obviously spam or that contain offensive, inappropriate, or belligerent language will be deleted. Thank you!